This weekend, I had the chance to see two Pittsburgh bred movies, Kevin Smith's Zack & Miri Make a Porno, and George Romero's low budget Diary of the Dead.
Zack & Miri I saw Friday night with my brother, of Silent fame,
I sort of forgot about how Pittsburgh the movie might be. I was aware of the Monroeville Zombies jerseys from WAY back when the movie was filming. But, for some reason, I found myself sitting through the overbearing commercials and previews thinking whether this was going to be visibly a Pittsburgh movie. Dogma was shot around here (around my house, interestingly) but not set in Pittsburgh. Stigmata was set in Pittsburgh, but was much too flat of a landscape to be considered to be our fair, lumpy city. Long gone were the days of the , Inspector Gadgets, and, dare I say, Striking Distance, that showcased our city? Even Queer as Folk had to "fake" being set here.
So it's nice to see to see Kevin Smith doing a film about one of our particular suburbs.
So hopefully this is the beginning of a new string of Pittsburgh-showcasing movies, after a bit of a drought. I don't know if it's the same demographic that a VisitPittsburgh was looking for, but fans of zombies and stoner humor are sure to love this town after these flicks.

No comments:
Post a Comment